Sunday, July 29, 2007

Three Inches of Concrete

It is Sunday and there will be no rest for us this day. We are on a mission to take some crap to the dump. We have a bunch of stuff in the backyard that has to go and we have a bunch of stuff from the bathroom that has to go. I feel like I should be making a joke about the bathroom and having to go but I can't think of the proper sequay. So I won't!

Under that tile floor, the builders built a sub-floor between the
joists . . . about half way down the width of the joists . . . and then poured concrete into that space. I am not sure of the methodology behind this. Nobody I have talked to has ever heard or seen such a thing. I guess it makes for a very solid barrier between the second floor and the main floor ceiling. Other than that, I can't think of any good reason for having done this.

I do imagine that there are some long deceased builders who are having a laugh right now because this cement is in our way.

Susan and I had a very productive day today. I rented a trailer and we made TWO (2) trips to the dump. The first load was all the debris in the backyard from the demolition of the Wheel Chair Ramp. The second load had the remaining Wheel Chair debris and a shit load of concrete.
Here is a great picture depicting the cement between the joists. That covered the whole area of the bathroom floor . . . on the SECOND FLOOR. You've got to have some pretty good faith in the quality of your structure to put a load of concrete ON THE SECOND FLOOR.

No comments: