Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Post Birthday

Other than having to work all day, my 54th birthday celebration was very nice. I can feel the waning of the shingles virus that has enveloped me for six weeks now. We went out for dinner last night and got the enjoy the Gonzaga Bulldogs on the TV. They beating their arch rival, the St. Maries Gaels, to win the WCC championship and get an automatic bid into the NCAA tournament, where I predict they will lose in the second round.

Susan did a great job of providing me gifts every day for the last week. I got some tools, some Groupons, some gift certificates, and a wine kit.

We hope to use a couple of the Groupons in the next couple of weeks. They are for an evening at the Jameson Hotel in Wallace, Idaho and a day of skiing at Silver Mountain. We would have used them last weekend but the shingles prevented me from going.

At lunch today, I am going to visit my friend Doug. He's in the Hospital. He had a cardiac event the other day...on his birthday, in fact. I'll find out more when I see him but his future is drastically going to change. My sources tell me that me that the State is petitioning to declare Doug incompetent. He drinks, he smokes and he doesn't seem to be taking very good care of himself.

Details to follow. For previous information on Doug, see Nov. 17, 2010.

Later: Okay, I have returned from visiting Doug and am happy to report that he is upright and lucid and much better than I was imagining. I asked him how he was doing without Vodka and Cigarettes and he held up a shaky hand. But he had a real positive attitude about it. He seems glad to have booze behind him. He seems to realize that he was killing himself. I think Social Services will have a very difficult time trying to declare him incompetent.

No comments: