Wednesday, October 03, 2018

Boiler Game Conclusion

If you are playing the Boiler Game and you picked today as the day we would turn on the heat, you loose.

It might be the earliest end of the Boiler Game in the competition's 12 year history.

I filled the system on Saturday morning and almost immediately ran into a disaster. I closed the valve on the boiler and started filling the system. After 20 minutes, I realized the leak in the Dining Room had resumed. I charged upstairs and closed the valve on the radiator in the upstairs bedroom. 

I could not believe my stupidity for allowing it to happen again but I was equally mystified at how quickly the system filled. Especially on a trickle.

I was pissed! Susan was really pissed!! Fortunately, the leak subsided and no damage was done.

The other concern was leaks in the TV Room where the pipes for the temporarily removed radiator have been capped. All was well in there as well.

So, with the system filled and free of leakage, I lit the pilot light on the boiler on Sunday evening. Only one person guessed September 30th. 

Congratulations to Eldon Fanortner of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Mr. Fanortner will receive a package of cheese curds and a Gift Certificate for 15% off an oil change at any one of the 5 local locations of Spokane Lube and Oil.

1 comment:

Callahan said...

I'd have to inspect what you've got there, to know for sure, but it seems to me when you drain a radiator system, you're draining that part which is susceptible to gravity; hence, the fins would retain whatever's water in them while the pipes drain. This would account for how quickly the system fills up. That said, wtf do I know?
https://www.hunker.com/13415661/parts-of-a-home-radiator