Saturday, April 27, 2019

Obligationless Saturday

Susan ran five miles this morning in preparation for Bloomsday, which is next Sunday. I did not!

I broke out the leaf blower and cleaned off the deck and the front porch. 

Prior to that I unloaded a bunch of fire wood. A guy at worked asked if I wanted some free fire wood from a crab apple tree his dad cut down.
The result of my affirming response was this pile of wood. I have some splitting to do, which may start today. (It will not be completed today.)

The rest of the day is ours. We can do whatever we want. We haven't had this luxury in quite some time. It seems all our weekend days are packed with other obligations.

We plan to stop by the Hub for the second annual .6 mile fun run, from The Hub Tavern to the Mosey Inn Tavern and back. I did it last year but missed the signing deadline this year.

While messing around in the yard, I noticed something.
This is as good as this strip of grass will look for the rest of the year.
Actually today may be the day where the house looks its best.

Don't look too close.

It's a nice day out but a touch on the windy side. I'm heading out now to kill some dandelions and clean up after a pigeon.
That's the pigeon I had to clean up after. To be fair, I had to clean up the pigeon from something else that went after it. And the amazing thing is that I am part of the story.

I was leaving the house Thursday evening to go to dinner with some friends. As I walked out the back door, this large bird, perhaps with a 15 foot wingspan, flew right past my head and hit the dining room window at the back door.

I whipped around, and there on the window sill sat this stunned pigeon. It had nowhere near a 15 foot wingspan.

It  sat there for quite some time. Then I moved slowly towards it and it took off towards the park.

As I watched fly away, another larger bird (maybe a crow) took off after it. I presume the pigeon was trying to escape the other bird when it flew at my head. 

My scaring it away ultimately led to its demise. 

I have pigeon blood on my hands.

No comments: