Sunday, September 23, 2007

Sunday Special Project

Susan has been upset with the state of affairs in the basement for quite some time. So she scheduled today for the re-organizational disembowelment. It was quite a mess and well over due for a cleansing. The area where I keep all my wine and beer making stuff was particularly cluttered. One of the painful but necessary jobs I had to do today was dump a bunch of bottles of wine.Specifically, we had 13 bottles of Homemade Rhubarb wine from 2003. Homemade wine does not have any preservatives in it and therefore, it is not the type of thing that you put away for a long time. Two years is about the limit. We tried opening a bottle earlier this summer and it was clear that it was no good. At one time, it was a delightfully sweet little white wine. But that was about two years ago.

As we cleaned further, I found some bottles on the bottom of the wine rack that had no labels. I assumed they were Beet Wine, part of a failed experiment were I learned that you do not make wine from beets.

There were four of these unlabeled suspect bottles but when I opened the first one, I discovered it was not beet wine. I think it was Huckleberry from about three years ago. It wasn't horrible, but it wasn't worth saving.

We managed to get the whole basement back to a state that Susan could live with. I was able to live with it as it was, but I must admit that this is much better. I don't have to climb over crap and I have a better idea where most of my tools are.

No comments: