Monday, April 14, 2008

One Wall to Go!

After a weekend of sun and heat, I gathered up the newspaper this morning to see a deluge of rain. It was still warm and the freshness of it all was wonderful. I stood out there on the front porch and drank it in.

Susan made great progress in the bathroom with the wall papering and only has one wall to go. It's the long one but it doesn't have any obstacles, angles or corner to negotiate. Unfortunately, she has no time in the next few days to finish it up so it will have to wait a bit longer.

I can probably start capping off the wainscoating and then we can put the sink in. I am waiting on a crucial part that should be here this week.

In the meantime, I spent my Sunday in the yard. I trimmed the arborvitae down to about 12 feet and removed a lot of the damaged and spindly branches. The winter really did a number on the shrubbery. They don't look too good right now but I think they will recover. Next I need to hit them with some good fertilizer.

I have a couple of hops plants that I am starting. Right now they are in buckets in the basement. I have a Cascade variety and a Sterling variety. I brought them out into the sun yesterday and I believe they really enjoyedit.

I don't plan to brew beer with them although I won't ignore fresh hops if they provide it. I mainly wanted some growing vine plants to cover the arbor on the deck. I'm going to plant a couple of varieties of grapes as well as a clamatis. It should look great in a few years.

No comments: