Wednesday, January 18, 2012

To Snow or Not to Snow

There has been major media hype going on in the media from which the hype has been coming the last few days, anticipating a snow storm of gigantic, nay, epic proportions. At least, gigantic, nay, epic in relation to all the other snow storms we have had this season, which has been none.

I find it amazing that the National Weather Service says nine inches of snow has fallen this season. That can't possibly be right. It seems as if there hasn't been any snowfall this year.

As I said, the TV weather people have had their panties all in a bunch since Sunday telling us of the prodigous winter weather that is soon to be coming to our doorstep...well, it's coming to a doorstep...at the very least, it's coming to a doorstep in our neighborhood, perhaps the city...or the state.....oh Hell! We don't know!

It is snowing as I write this. It started on my way to work this morning. It now remains to be seen how much we will get. I've heard five to eight inches. Now that the storm is here, they are scaling that back. It's not coming down very hard but I am reminded of the old Indian saying which I have repeated here many time.

Big Snow, Little Snow. Little Snow, Big Snow.

11:02 AM: It's still snowing. It's sticking and the wind is blowing about. Looks like this could be the big one.

2:27 PM: It continues to snow and it is piling up. Little Snow, Big Snow is proving itself true. Small snow flakes indicate a lot of snow to fall.
I went out during lunch and while it is still easy to get around, that does not take into account the stupid drivers who proliferate the roadways. Here is something I would like. If you're driving down the road in the left lane, and you notice that someone is behind you...perhaps even riding your ass, why don't you move over. Huh?
WHY DON'T YOU MOVE THE HELL OVER!

Okay, I got that out of my system.

4:08 PM: The snowfall has passed for now. I would estimate we got three or four inches. It's hard to tell because it's blowing around a lot. I'll get an accurate measurement when I get home.

8:29 PM: It is official. We have had a snowfall. I know this because I used the snow blower tonight. I did my normal routine of blowing off the driveway, the alley and the sidewalks up and down the block.

So...as of january18th, Winter has arrived.

No comments: