Saturday, June 01, 2013

Four Project Saturday

I woke up around 3 to the sound of someone shouting outside. I think it was coming from the neighbors yard across the alley from us. There was definitely a party going on when we shut down our pit fire around 11.

It was to be a busy day and that meant getting up and getting right to it. Whatever it was, we were to it.

Project Number Most Important was getting up the crown molding in the Living Room.

It is not complete but what is up looks good.

While Phil worked on the crown molding, I went to work to restore workability to our front window. The house is loaded with all the old style windows that employ weights hidden within the sill. The weights add ease of opening to the heavy windows. As with many of these old style windows, the weights have long since ceased to work. The ropes have broken and the weights fall uselessly into the abyss.

I have recovered the weights and am attempting to reattach them.

The weights in the front window have to be 50 pounds each. They may be more. I suppose I should have weighed them. I am attaching a new length of rope, which I estimate to be about 36 inches.
I got them in and Phil helped me get them attached to the window. The picture above shows the 80 pound weight sitting quietly in its place gaining weight. 
The problem is the window barely opens. I new it was not going to open completely but I was hoping for a nice opening to allow a breeze. I'm going to shorten the length of my ropes and hope I get a bit more breeze space.

While all this was going on, Susan was busy planting more flora in the front garden. It's really taking shape out there. I got some peet moss down over the grass seed in hopes of protecting it from birds and having something moist over the top.



I also got a good start on capping the arbors on the deck. Above is a nice before and after shot. I'll be installing these over the next several days. I think I got four up today.

You must excuse me now as I have to go rest.

No comments: