Saturday, December 30, 2017

New Years Weekend

We are enjoying the final weekend of the year. Susan is just getting up from some powerful sleeping in and I've been up for a little longer.

One of my projects for today is to figure out how much trouble I'm in with regard to my Snow Removal Area (S.R.A.). It snowed a goodly amount yesterday, at least four inches and then it all turned to rain. I was able to get out there and blow the S.R.A. but then a couple of inches fell before the rain came. 

Now it's really sloppy out there. I can't tell how sloppy because I haven't actually gone out and examined it. It's still early so get off me.

I haven't had the opportunity to report on Christmas. We had a good one. What more do you need to know?!

Christmas Eve: We were up early for church and then to get ready for the next day. Our church partnered with Southside Christian Church to prepare and deliver "Meals on Wheels" on Christmas Day.

Saturday was a prep day with the cooking of ham, the peeling of potatoes and carrots, the cutting of cakes and the mixing of fruit salad.

We were out of there about 4:00 and immediately headed home for more prep for the evening. After a brief stop at the Hub. We were hosting the family for the Christmas Eve dinner.

We had Mom and my sister Stacey. Stacey's sons, Ferris and Torin joined us from California. Then all my DuPree nieces and nephews showed up as well...along with a couple of boy and girl friends. Finally, we invited Kelvin and Crystal Jones, our new Interim Pastor and his wife.

The food was a sort of buffet affair and there was plenty of it. I was a particular fan of the beef brisket. Then we sat around the piano and sang Christmas Carols and a few other popular songs.

Christmas Morning: Again we were up early, this time 6:00AM. Today was for final prep and then packaging the meals to be delivered. And then of course, the delivery.

Susan and I had a route with 5 deliveries on it. It went really well and fast but there was one meal we could not deliver. We could not get in to the apartment building and the intercom system was beyond our comprehension to figure out.

When we returned to the church building, most of the clean up was complete and we just had to wait around for everything to be buttoned up and then lock the building.

Again, we were home at by 2:00 and we opened some presents. 

We had to be at Mom's at 5 for Christmas Dinner featuring Prime Rib. I wasn't going to be missing that meal. And it was wonderful.

We didn't get to our final round of present opening until Tuesday night. Susan and I agreed to spend our money on a Grape crusher so we did not spend a lot on each other. But we did have a couple of gifts plus stocking stuffers.

All in all, a great Holiday! And then back to reality.

No comments: