Saturday, December 29, 2018

Corn Palace

The alarm went off at 6:55 and we were on the road by 8:30.

The day started in Des Moines where it rained all night. It was wet out but it was warm. We loaded up the car, double checked the house for anything we left behind and hit the road. Susan drove first and got us to Souix Falls in three hours and seven minutes. I took over and the weather turned frosty. 

When we got to Sioux City and Interstate 90, it was near white out conditions and snow blowing across the freeway. The visibility was horrible and I think I made a top speed of 50 for a little while. I drove for almost 3 hours and we turned off at Mitchell. It's about one third of the way across the state. The forecast for tomorrow looks more promising than the current conditions so at 3PM, we got a room and went to dinner. 

I don't remember the name of the local joint we went to but it was a nice little Bar and Grill in downtown...right by the Corn Palace.

I enjoyed a local dish I never heard of before that consisted of Bits of steak dropped into a deep fat fryer. I got em rare and they were tastey. 

We then looked for a store and got some supplies. Brandy and cough drops for me and beer for Susan.

The nice thing about this detour is we finally got to see the World's Only Corn Palace.

The poor quality of the pictures is an indication of how cold it was out there. The pictures and columns and most of the building are all decorated with thousands of ears of corn.

No comments: