Sunday, May 24, 2020

Lawn of Crap and Other Stuff

We are deep in the grips of the Memorial Day weekend. I've been off since Friday but I really didn't accomplish much that day. Everything I wanted to do required being outside and it kept raining...like it has all week. I really need to mow the lawn even though it pretty much looks like a step above a waste land.
My big project for the weekend is to get all the trim stained. It's a two stain process in order to achieve the color we like. The above picture shows about half of my boards.
This picture shows me getting ready to stain. Notice I am social distancing AND wearing my protective mask.

Susan is out beautifying the front yard with some flower planting. I'm heading out for round two of my staining.

I still have one more trim cutting project to do. I have to cut all the baseboard but Susan wants it to match what we have in the rest of the house. That will require some special milling which I will get in to when the time comes.
In the meantime, here's some of the stained wood from yesterday.

Okay, a little time has passed and I have completed the staining. Just by the hair of  my chinny chin chin. I got right down to the bottom of the can. I have just returned from the General Store where I acquired another small can of Dark Walnut. I was worried the General Store wasn't big enough to stock a bunch of colors. I also had a slight fear that they discontinued Dark Walnut.

But I lucked out and found it.
Here is a picture illustrating the difference between the first coat and the second. This picture doesn't quite show how much darker the board on the right is from the one on the left.

Anyway, we have a formula to follow and follow it we shall.
Susan has completed her farming almost and now we look respectable enough to be in this neighborhood. Don't look at the back yard.
So now, it's time to mellow out and enjoy the rest of the day.

No comments: