Sunday, February 28, 2021

How to Move a Barcalounger

Since Susan and I have been married, we've always gotten our Costco membership through Susan's boss, Bill Reed. Since she no longer works for Bill, we had to get it ourselves. He paid for it by mistake last year but we finally find ourselves out in the wilderness with no one to support our Costco habit but ourselves.

So, we ventured to Costco yesterday to re-new our membership and grab some stuff.

While strolling through, we saw a three seat couch that reclines for $500.00. That's less by a hundred dollars than what we have found so far.

We decided we should get it. In talking to the Costco people, we found that the display model was the last one in stock but they would be receiving more in a week or so. They told us there were 30 available on line.

When we got home, I went on line to check it out. They were sold out.

We decided we should go get that display model before they all disappear. I called my friend Jerry and borrowed his truck. I called my friend Mark and borrowed his muscles.

We got the couch loaded and back to the house. Mark and I had little trouble getting it into the entry way but that's where we hit the road block. We could not get it to fit into the TV Room. After many tries, we decided it had to go in through the front window.  But that would be for tomorrow.

Which is now today.

So that is my task for today. I need to peel out the glazing and remove the glass from the window frame. Then, Mark will come over and help me slide it through the window.

It's 11:15 and the clock is running. So I'm heading out to the front porch to remove the glazing from the window.



The picture above is the upper right corner of the glass. I've carved a little glazing away from the corner. All in all, it came off pretty easily and I had the whole thing cleaned off in less than an hour.

1:12 PM: Mark is coming over and we're moving the couch.

2:03 PM: It's in. It's done. Mark just left.


The glass slipped out of the frame easily. The couch went in through the window with inches to spare. Now I need to lay in the glazing and it will be as if it never happened.


3:33 PM: As Jesus said, "It is finished!" The couch is in position. The glass is back in the frame and the glazing looks every bit of okay. Sorry I didn't have better pictures of it going through the window, but we had our hands full.

This is another landmark event in our nearly three year TV Room Renovation.    

No comments: