Sunday, June 04, 2023

More Deck Work

Progress continues slowly on the kitchen as we haven’t seen Shaun in a few days. I’m not blaming him. In fact, I’m tempted to finish up without him but he has a couple of tools that I would need to do it properly.

In the meantime, we have the deck. The railing needs to be rehabilitated. Susan has been working tirelessly on the deck railing. She’s been scraping and sanding and filling cracks with wood putty. Yesterday she finally got around to priming and it continued today.

I have been working on a different part of the deck…the decking. Earlier this year, I noticed a couple of soft spots on the deck where the decking felt mushy.

I got under the deck to discover a badly rotting structure. Not everything. Just a couple of the joists that sit on the beams. The area with the mushy decking was a mostly rotted joist. I could not even remove some of the deck screws because they were seated in rotten wood. 

I don’t think the superstructure of the deck was properly built in the first place. When we redecked it several years ago, my builder commented on how under sized the joist were. I remember one joist was a 2x4. We replaced the sub standard lumber with 2x6’s and even sister Ed some pieces on to that. 

I have purchased a couple of treated 2x6’s for the replacements. I’m not yet sure how I will be attaching the new joists. I’ll figure that out when I get it down there.

No comments: