Friday, February 05, 2010

National Holiday Weekend

It is Friday night of Super Bowl Weekend 2010. I think it's Super Bowl Ex Ex Ex Eye Vee Ell Kay Bee two one Four Charley. I don't have to bar tend tomorrow so we are going to try and get some work done since Sunday is going to be a wasted day...as far as working on the house.

I spent my night by sanding. It ha been brought to my attention that I have a very heavy wood putty blade. As such, it requires a great deal of sanding to remove it.I had been sanding with far too light a grit...100 or 120. Tonight I barred down with a 60 grit sand paper and tore into that wood putty. As you can see, I did a hellova job!For the next several entries, I shall be talking about stairways, decorative trim and Newel Posts. The picture below shows our newel post at the top of the stairs. The inset trim is what I am trying to duplicate on the newel post at the bottom of the stairs.Here's a close up of the trim. I have been struggling with trying to duplicate this on my router for a week now. I have finally concluded that I will be happy with what I have come up with.Here is a close up of my recreation. Not great...but good enough. However, I have been brought up on the adage that "Good Enough isn't Good Enough." And so I will struggle a bit more to make it look a little better. We will soon see if this is good enough.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

How about carving, "Stan loves Susan" somewhere on the Newel post just before you re-stain it, and then let Susan discover it later? Just a thought. Kind of a romantic one. -Mike