Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Asked and Answered

I did a little research over the weekend and found the answers to my questions about the work occurring in the river bed.

I found that Avista Utilities is in charge of what's going on in the river bed. They are studying techniques to enhance the aesthetic qualities of the river flow. They want the rapids to look better. Who would ever think of something like that other than a utility with lots of money to spend.

Actually, I can't blame them. They have to do this to be in compliance with their permits to operate dams on the river. I think the rapids are the rapids and they look like they look. How can you possibly enhance them?! Make them bigger? Make a giant surfing wave? Perhaps something in a nice curly-cue?

We made some progress on the new bookcase in the upstairs landing. We put a second coat of stain on the thing. The first coat was with dark walnut and the second coat was with red mahogany...just like we did on the stairs.

I have to finish up the shelves and then we can varnish.

The other project I'm working on is the little pieces of trim under the stair treads.I finished cutting and coping and shaping and finally, installing. Now we have to get a coat of varnish on them and that is one more step to completing the three years stair project. These things are a very small detail affectation that probably nobody will notice other than those who read this. Just remember, it's all in the details!

We starting to get geared up for the big Labor Day Project, also known as Floor Refinishing Weekend. I believe I have it arranged so that I don't have to tend bar that weekend. The sander is arranged and we are starting to figure out the logistics. There will be the moving of furniture and the hanging of plastic and the sealing of orifices.

I'm really looking forward to it.

No comments: