Sunday, August 08, 2010

Hot August Stump Fire

I still have a ton of twigs and branches to clean up in the yard and that gives me the perfect excuse for a Saturday Night Stump Fire. Below is one of about 10,000 pictures I took trying to make my crippled camera get a good picture. Tonight we are hosting a couple of friends for a nice little evening barbecue. I am making my second attempt at a barbecued rotisserie chicken. My first attempt was okay but not what I would call a success. I'm going to attempt to create a smokey flavor by adding some hickory chips. The results are coming up in the next paragraph.

After obtaining some butchers twine, I trussed the chicken to keep it from flopping around as it roasts.

It took a while to get the coals to cooperate. My barbecue has a propane starter and I haven't been able to refill the bottle because it is old. I think I know a place where they will fill it. I'll try them this week.
In the meantime, I just used the ol' charcoal chimney and finally got a nice heat going. I put the chicken on the spit and started it over indirect heat. I cooked for about an hour and a half and was perfect. It really came out good and we were all pleased.
All in all, it was a lovely evening with good friends who will remain anonymous because of their reviled status in the community of local city governmentation.

No comments: