Tuesday, August 03, 2010

Where's the Points

I had the opportunity to take a day off from work yesterday and I jumped at it. I was pleased with my accomplishments.

I started the day with a visit to the doctor. Just a regular check up. Everything seems to be okay, although I believe I am in the worst shape of my life. I need to lose 20 and get me some energy.

To celebrate the successful Doctor's appointment, I had me a big fatty breakfast and pondered new ways I could lose weight.

One project I have been putting off for over a year was to get some electrical outlets on the front porch. I finally got that done. It took me only a couple of hours. Actually, it probably only took about 20 minutes to do the actual wiring. The rest of that time was spent crawling under the front porch, realizing I didn't have the proper tool I needed, crawling out, going to the basement, getting the tool after the obligatory 5 minute search and then returning to the under belly of the porch to discover another tool not at my immediate disposal.

Another project that I have been putting off since we moved into the house is to replace all the windows that are plexiglas with window glass. I can think of 5 such window spaces throughout the house. I decided yesterday was a good day to take care of two of those plexi-problems.

There was a small 9" x 9.75" window pane in the kitchen and another 26" x 28" pane in an adjacent window. I ended up removing the glazing from a number of panes and re-glazing. That took a few hours. Partly to go get the glass but mostly because I'm a loser dumb ass!

I know I have glazing compound and points, the little metal things you stick in the frame to hold the glass in place. I have even seen them recently and I remember putting them in a special spot so I would have ready access to them when needed.

Where is that special spot? Beats the shit outta me!

I looked all over the place. I pretty much scoured the basement and found some other stuff that I'll have no idea where it is when I need it. Finally, after a good hour of hunting, I drove over to the General Store and paid eight bucks for a new bucket of glazing compound and points, the little metals things you stick in the frame to hold the glass in place.

So I got that done and I am happy.

On Sunday, we got a second coat of paint on the balusters and we are good with that. We are calling them done. We started removing the tape last night and things look pretty good. We have a little touch up to do but for the most part, the stairs look pretty good.

We are now awaiting the arrival of the stair runner. Once that is installed we will complete the three year project with the installation of the keeper bars, the little metal things you stick on the stairs to hold the carpet in place.

No comments: