Sunday, June 24, 2012

Summer Solstice XII

I began having Solstice parties in 2001...prior to my relationship with Susan. When she came along, she embraced the party Whole Solsticely and turned it into a major food event. 


Last night was no exception and fun was had by all. I brewed a five gallon keg of home brew and we had a bunch of wine. We were feeling a little small this morning but not so bad that we got up at 10 and proceeded downtown to paint a sky walk.


We had about 50ish people show up including my friend Doug, who died last December. His sister brought him and we propped him up on the piano bar with an "I Love Lucy" tie wrapped around the box of ashes between two bottles of Skyy Vodka, which he loved and contributed to his demise. It may be as close as we get to a Memorial for him. I hope not. I'd like to do it up right.


The weather was the big question mark. The trend over the last few weeks is to be nice during the week with an occasional sudden cloud burst, and then pour on the weekend. It was looking iffy all day until about three. Then the clouds parted and blue skies made way for a lovely warm summer evening.


With the Solstice behind us and the end of our most recent project, we have a little time to do some little things around the house. I need to make a list of the little things. One little thing is to clean out all the crap in the Carriage House. If I can just get it out and reorganize it, that would be a major advance in the course of human civilization.


Another little thing is to get a liner installed in our chimney. It is essentially an open vertical window and we need to close it. That's going to be a thousand dollars but the sky walks we are painting will cover most of that.


And so, it's on to summer!

No comments: