Saturday, July 28, 2012

Mundacity

Whilst mowing the lawn this morning, it came to my attention that I am living a very basic, mundane middle class life. We have our house that we work on, we go to work, come home, do little projects, and then start it all over again.


And I'm okay with that!


This seems like a fine and worthwhile existence. Nothing too exciting and nothing too boring. And just enough alcohol to grease the wheels.


We are in the midst of a long hot dry spell. It hasn't rained for a couple of weeks and the heat has been pretty steady and aggressive. It's been tense at work as the heat is making everyone edgy.


It's Saturday evening and I'm sitting on the front porch writing this.  I don't have anything specific to post, just some odds and ends that I wanted to get caught up on.


The Hall Project is complete! We hung the mirror on Thursday, Susan's birthday. It looks good. Rather than bolting it to the wall as it was when we removed it, I hung a heavy duty picture hook on the wall and strung a heavy duty wire to the frame.


The space has been empty for so long that it looks weird having the mirror there.


I went out to the Hardware store today and bought an eye hook and some chain. I'm going to put the eye hook through the floor of the porch in order to be able to chain up the table and chairs.


I'm also investigating buying a surveillance system. Perhaps this isn't the smartest place to be discussing that. Let's just say you may or may not be on the candid camera.


With all the theft going on around us, here is an interesting tidbit. 


This bike showed up last weekend and hasn't moved since. The neighbors have just left it out in the yard and nobody seems interested. Clearly, it was stolen from somewhere else.


Oh my gosh! As I was writing that, this kids comes walking out of the park from playing basketball and grabs the bike. Here's some pictures of him.




It's obvious to me that I have a bright career as a crime scene photographer.


I'm not sure how I should feel about this. The bike was stolen and we've all been waiting for it to disappear. On the other hand, this kid clearly knew it was not his bike and took off with it.  He must have seen it sitting there for a few days because he really made no effort to high tail it away.


Well, I'm going to close this out now and walk over to the Hub Tavern for a beers.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Idea: buy bikes and other things cheaply. Document serial numbers. Register with police. When you see the cheap stuff getting lifted. Film it and call the cops with a crime-in-progress report. Bust the people that take stuff that doesn't belong to them from off other people's property. Unless it has a free sign on it, theft is theft. My theory is that once busted, the thieves will steal less. Will think twice and three times. It's just a theory.