Sunday, May 22, 2016

Siding

It's a rainy day. In fact, it's been a rainy weekend. Almost an inch of rain fell yesterday. A few showers have happened this morning already.

We got trapped at the Hub Tavern for a while yesterday because of the rain. We walked over to watch the Preakness and while we were there, the skies opened up and it poured for a good long while. It finally subsided enough that we figured we could make it home without getting totally sopped.

I had Phil come over today to get started on replacing the siding on the house outside of the bathroom. The first obstacle to over come is removing the old siding. I want to hide the fact that a door had been there. 
There is also this giant gouge that has been inexplicably cut into the siding. I would like to fix that as well.
But there is an obstacle to the obstacle. You will notice the white post in the upper picture next to my particle board covering. That is the latch for the gate going out to the hot tub. I removed a couple of bolts that secured it to the deck but it was still attached.

With Phil's help, we managed to get it loose.

So we got to work removing the rest of the siding, trying to save as much of it as possible for re-use. After the undercarriage was revealed, we put up some tar paper and called it a day.

I am satisfied with our progress for the day. Especially since I didn't know what sort of progress we could make today.

The next step is the put some uneven cuts in the siding shown above up to the window. That will eliminate the gouge I showed above and hopefully make the whole side look uniform. Other than looking at this blog, no one will be able to tell there was ever a door in that area.

5 comments:

Franklin Stewart said...

One of the worst things that I had to do was remove the siding from a house. It's so much easier to add siding and a job that I would take any day over removing the material from a home. One of the things I have found is that it's actually better if it's wet as it tends to slide off a bit easier.

Veronica Perry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Veronica Perry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Veronica Perry said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I can see you had a few repairs to make on your home. It does not look like the rain interfered with the work on your home, and it looks like you and your friend got a lot done with your home project. I hope it did not take too long to make the necessary repairs and replace the siding.

Fred Richardson @ SGK Home Solutions