Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Giant Dumbass

I am a Giant Dumbass!

I got a delivery from UPS the day before yesterday from Fiskars USA. It was the stuff I ordered for my Tractor Sprinkler, a new transmission and a new sprinkler rotor.

I have already done this repair once and that sprinkler was stolen shortly afterwards...as chronicled here.

I started the repair for my old sprinkler that has been sitting in the garage for the last three years. This one will not get stolen because I will not allow it to happen.

Anyway, I got my Dremmel Tool out and ground the wheel caps off the axles. That allowed me to remove the wheels. Then I got my power driver out to remove the screws that hold the transmission on the body.

Two came out quite easily. The other three were locked in pretty tight and would not budge. I tried very hard to get them removed and had no luck. 

I went so far as to use my torch to heat up the metal body, hoping the heat would loosen the screws. All that managed to do was melt the old transmission housing.

Here is why I am a Giant Dumbass. I was so focused on trying to find a Phillips Screw Driver large enough to give me enough leverage to budge the screw, that I completely failed to notice that the heads were little bolts that I could put a ratchet to.

When I brought the tractor body in to work today and asked Gary if he had any ideas on how to loosen the screws, he looked right at it and said, "How about using a socket set?"

I'm a giant Dumbass!

No comments: