Monday, November 07, 2022

Three Inches and Rising

It’s one week since Halloween and it is all but a memory. Everything has been stowed in its proper place. I even managed to create a little more room up in the Carriage House with some creative stacking. Now it’s time to move on to our unusual weather.

I believe the climate is changing. Much the way it has for the last many thousands of years. While I think that human activity contributes to the changes, I don’t think we are the main contributors. Again, climate changes. It always has. Humans adapt to the weather. We always have.

That being said, we’ve had a really weird year of weather. Spring lasted through June, which was very wet and may have set a record for rainfall. At the very least, we came close to matching a record. 

Summer was hot and lingered well into October. The first 19 days of the month had daily high temperatures in the 70s. That was a record.

Now it’s November 7th and I wake up to this.

I’m measuring 3 inches over night here at the house. The snow continues to fall which is why I’m not out with my snow blower. But I will be.

Here’s a screen shot I took of the Mt Spokane Snow Stake.

There’s another eight inches up there on top of at least nine inches they got last week. I haven’t seen a figure from the Mt Spokane staff on total snow depth so far. They still have a ways to go before they can open.

I can remember only once in my life that we were skiing before Thanksgiving. It was back in the 70s. We have the potential to beat Thanksgiving this year, but I'm not going to dwell on it. Just let it happen.

Serenity Now!

12:28PM: I have just come in from snow blowing. I covered the whole block like I usually do. This was easily the most difficulty I've had snow blowing since I got the thing 24 years ago. The snow is wet. I don't mean damp. I mean, how can it even be snow with so much wetness saturated in it.

I would blow a swath and then have to dig the compacted slush out of the chute. It was just horrible. Add to that, all the leaves that we meant to rake up yesterday but decided to put off for a day.

Did I say it was horrible?! It was!!! 

No comments: