Monday, December 26, 2022

Christmas and the Day After

It is the day after Christmas 2022, but we are only getting to it today.

We got up yesterday morning and went to church. Susan was the Worship Leader, which meant she did the introduction, opening prayer and so on. For the last several years, she has read a Christmas story on Christmas Eve that is accompanied with pictures on the big screen from the book. The first time she did it, she read “Christmas Day in the Morning” by Pearl S. Buck.

This year she read "A Christmas Candle” by Richard Paul Evens.

When church was over, it was back to the house to prepare Christmas dinner. My son, Scott was coming from Northport with his girlfriend, Erica and her daughter Janey.

We told them to come at 1:30 which gave us enough time to get everything prepared.

Just as they arrived, we discovered  a major problem in the Dining Room.

Water was dripping from the ceiling at a pretty good rate. This picture doesn’t really show it.

This picture shows the aftermath, after the water had stopped.

We originally ran into this problem several years ago and it is chronicled in this blog. I found a post from November 30th, 2010 where I explained laying out some heat cable on the roof to mitigate this giant icicle and ice dam that forms to cause the leaks into the Dining Room.
This picture shows a few little drops coming down. I suppose I should post the video I took.

We solved the problem by having Scott climb up to the edge of the roof and break the icicle away. Then I used some heat cable I have wrapped around an outdoor faucet and we threw that up into this little valley where the roofs come together and cause the problem.

I had heat cable up there for many years but it was removed when the new roof was installed. I was told that the new flashing and tar paper they put up would fix the problem but that is not the case. Heat cable will be returning to that portion of the roof as soon as the weather permits to get up there...like August. In the meantime, I think we have patched it. Now Susan will go to work on whatever repair is required for the walls and the ceiling panels.

 Anyway, the leaking had stopped so that is our Christmas Miracle.

Here is the picture of the destruction for today. We finally got around to opening our gifts. 

We done good! I got some new flannel shirts, a belt and a device that helps me put on my socks. It's not something I need but Susan saw it at the Church Rummage Sale and thought it was hilarious.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Please consider doing video dedicated to displaying the device that helps you put on your socks. I suspect others in your audience would be interested in seeing that as well. Many of us could probably use one. Thanks!