Wednesday, December 28, 2022

The Big Warm

The weather service says we received over an inch of rain yesterday. It’s gone from sub zero temperatures to 40° in a week. My snow depth meter has gone from 13 inches of snow to 8 1/2 inches since Monday. 

It’s quite sloppy out there but it has cleaned up my sidewalks and driveway. I allowed them to get in a horrible state after the last snowfall. We got about 3 inches last Friday after getting about 5 inches. I snow blowed the five but left the three.

It was bad news for the sidewalks but my shame has been washed away.

I’m expecting someone to show up today from the construction company that did our roof. I’m hoping they will have some suggestions for solving my ice dam problem. I think the solution is heat cable. I hope they will help me install it.

The only other thing on todays’ agenda is a basketball game betwixt the Gonzaga Bulldogs and the Eastern Oregon Fighting Mormons. (I don’t think that is really their mascot but I’m too lazy to confirm it.)


6:15PM: The roof guys showed up about 1:30 today. When I showed them what was going on, they jumped into action and actually went up on the roof and tackled the problem.

Here is a picture of the flat spot between the two peaks. That black tarpaper area is where the water builds up and pools when the icicle forms a dam on the eve. There are plenty of seams there for the water to get under and then flow into the house.

They repositioned my heat cable to cover that whole area which will warm up the water as it rolls of the roof. That should be the end of the icicle.


No comments: