Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Stained Glass & Heat Update


This should be very exciting today. We will be installing the Stained Glass Window. The picture to the right is of the inside of our Walk-In Closet. It used to be a Screened Porch and the other side of that window looks out on the top of the stairway. That is where the Stained Glass will go. I have purchased a piece of frosted Plexiglass that will go behind the window and then there will be a light to help illuminate the stained glass.

I find it amazing that in all the hundreds of pictures I have taken of the house, I can't find a good one to show the other side of this window. The best I have is the picture on the left, which was taken way back in March. That's Susan painting the closet.

The install will take place tonight. Susan is going to be a nervous wreck until it is safely in place. She is well aware of the many panes of glass I have cracked while fixing windows. If I do something to damage this, the marriage is over. Oh Hell...forget the marriage.....I'll be dead!

We made it another day without heat but the forecast for the next few days is not in our favor. I'm counting on built up inertial heat to carry us over into October.

Later that Day: It is just after 11:00 PM and the Stained Glass Window is installed. It did not go as planned. What a surprise!

You know, you would think that when you remove a window frame from a window hole that has held said window frame for over ninty years, the afore-mentioned window frame, upon returning to said window hole, would have the courtesy to, you know, FIT!

But Nnnnnnnooooooooooooooooooooooo!

I screwed the frame into the exact same hinges and it would not close. I had to plane the top of the frame. Then I had to do some creative carving. Then...gingerly, because the frame contains a stained glass window that could end my life if broken...I smashed it into place with a rubber mallet.

Viola! It fits!! Don't ask me to remove it though...EVER!

Susan is pleased and I am glad that it didn't break.

No comments: