Monday, September 29, 2008

Skunks, Punks & Blowing Chunks

Other than skunks, the title has nothing to do with today's subject. I just loved the rhythmic flow.

I trapped two more skunks over the night. These are skunks number four and five but they are the first to both be trapped on the same evening. My guess from the looks of them is that it was a mother and a youngun. That means a whole new family moved in after the last three were removed. I gotta get that thing buttoned up. From here on out, skunks get trapped with hot dogs. That appears to be my best bait.

The catch and release went quite smoothly. I got up at five to check the traps. I was thrilled to gaze through the darkness at sprung traps. It was an awful lot darker today than in the past but that may have worked to my advantage. They couldn't see me as well as so couldn't spray me.

The only question now is, how many more are under there? I will try again tonight and see what we get.

Speaking of under there, I would like to focus on "there". "There", of course is the Carriage House. Great progress was made yesterday as seen in the following photographs.We are quite thrilled with the outcome so far. The doors will eventually be burgundy like the beams above. The trim will be cream and we will accent it here and there with the burgundy. It has taken our painter weeks of prep to get to this point. It took her an hour and a half to paint this side of the building.

She still has some prep work to do on the other three sides but we are getting close to completion with this project. Good thing too because it is cooling off and turning into winter.

Not immediately though. The forecast for the next few days calls for warm and sunny. It's about 75 degrees right now. This means that we have a shot of breaking our Furnace Record. October third is the date to beat. Five days to go!

With just over a month to go, the Halloween Hoarding has begun. We are about half way to our Full Size Candy Bar Quota (300) and about two thirds of the way to our Fun Size Quota. (400 and up)

The picture above does not do justice to our current cache of chocolaty sweetness.

No comments: