Thursday, September 11, 2008

A Variety of Items

I have many items to bring up today. Here is the outline.

First, my lawn sucks.

B) I am a Neighborhood Organizer!

Lastly, I am being inundated with unwelcome advertising.

Let's start with the lawn.
This is Hector, my Lawn Boy. Hector doesn't like it when I call him my Lawn Boy but that's tough. Hector mowed yesterday. He's had a pretty easy summer on my lawn because it's in such bad shape that it hardly grows. He'll probably have to mow once more this season and then that will be it.

Hector often complains about how dirty he gets when he mows my lawn. When he dumps the grass, there is a great deal of dust and it wafts over him. There is a great deal of dust because it appears that dust makes up a good portion of my lawn.

There are something like 28 designated neighborhoods in the City of Spokane and each of those neighborhoods has a Neighborhood Council. I started attending the monthly meetings of the Emerson-Garfield neighborhood when we moved in. I wanted to know what was going on in the area.


My participation has blossomed into a position on the Council. I am the Vice-Chairman. I am currently into my second year as Vice Chairman.

The job of the Vice-Chairman as defined by how I have done the job is to do nothing. Attend an occasional meeting. Actually lead one. Beyond that, I haven't really contributed much other than showing up...and that's three quarters of the battle.

Next May, they will be asking me to be Chairman and I might decide to do it. But only for one year. By then, the Mayor's race will be starting up and I'll be ready to run for that. Or Vice President.

I must say that I am embarrassed by our sign. I work for a sign company and we have a council sign that was done by a Fourth Grader. I'm going to wrangle a donation out of my boss.

Finally, the radio in my car has a feature that displays the song being played over certain FM Radio stations. One station, "Bob FM", has gone a step further. In addition to displaying the station and the song playing, it also let's me know that there is a Fall Tire Sale going on NOW at Les Schwab.While I must admit that I find it a very clever way to hit me with another bit of advertising, I also find it unseemly and Orwellean. Soon, they will be beaming stuff right into my head.

Yeah, like they aren't doing that already!

No comments: