Tuesday, September 02, 2008

Skunk Free Zone

The evidence tells me that I have removed the last skunk. The hole was not unburied this morning.

We caught what I assume to be the last skunk yesterday...and he was a hand full. Perhaps I should say he was a nose full.

I got up early to check the traps I had set. I set them every night of this Labor Day weekend but I only got lucky on Monday. We had a skunk. He was very active, routing around in the cage and trying to dig out. Good luck with that, bud!

Susan got up to watch the festivities. As I approached the trap with the tarp spread in front of me for protection, he sprayed. I have never actually seen a skunk spray before. It was not like a cat with a focused stream. It was a big glob of yellow goo that didn't go too far. It didn't have to hit me for me to smell it. It was bad.

I got the tarp over the trap and carried it to the truck. That was all pretty uneventful. He might have sprayed again. By then, it didn't really matter as the whole area was enveloped in odious olfactory sensations to bewitch and beguile.

We drove him out to the release spot, opened the door and he was gone. There was no waiting period like with the others. Hopefully, he will reunite with his brethren and the will live long, happy, smelly lives out in the wild.

In the meantime, the trap is sitting in a garbage can full of bleach water. It does not seem to be taking the smell away.

No comments: