Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Snow Competition

I have been keeping an eye on my snow pole and wondering when it will fall over. If the rain continues the way it did yesterday, it should fall over within the week. If we get a little snow as they are suggesting we might, it could be longer. I'm going to choose March 13th.Currently, the snow pole is sitting in a bank of snow that is about se7en inches high. However, the area of snow around the base of the pole is a bit lower as it is melting more around the pole than the surrounding snow. If it snows in the next couple of days, it might fill in that hole and add additional support. It's very hard to say and I am only speculating now in order to make more words in today's post.

Sanding continues on the stairs but we have decided that I am being too aggressive in my efforts. We will be re-staining the steps a dark dark brown so it really isn't necessary to sand them down to bare wood.

When I say we have decided I'm being too aggressive, I mean not me. However, after consulting with others, I been persuaded to believe that perhaps Susan is Ri...rrrrrr.....not wrong.

Anyway, I shall continue in a less aggressive manner and hopefully have it all done before...oh let's see, I'm not very good at setting goals and then meeting them. Okay, let's say St. Patrick's Day!

I have started a new batch of beer which I am planning on entering in the fair this coming September. I am developing what I believe to be a rather unusual recipe. I shall not reveal my ingredients at this point. I think it will suffice to say that "Skunk Pelt Beer" will be the talk of the fair.I was surprised by the amount of spooge (official brewing term) the primary fermenter (another official brewing term) contained when I racked (Yup) the wort (uh huh). There was a good inch of spoogie sediment in the bottle. Probably a good idea to get it racked outta that stuff. (non-official brewing term)

I also had to add almost a gallon of water to top it off. It didn't seem to effect the taste or the gravity reading but it definitely effects the alcohol content. This should be around 5 percent. It's a porter and they are generally not high alcohol beverages.

I will be bottling it in about a week which means I better start now to get all my bottling equipment together. I'm only going to bottle about a gallon of the five gallon batch. The rest will go in the keg. The requirements of the fair force me to bottle. I don't do it often and so I am often scrambling to find everything I need at bottling time. (Drink beer now)

No comments: