Wednesday, July 15, 2009

The Curse of the No-See-Ums

I had another bad night of the itches. I finally got out of bed around three and went downstairs to take a bath. I added two cups of Epsom Salts and stayed in there for about an hour. It was therapeutics enough to let me go back to bed and sleep until morning.

I went out to get the morning paper and let the cats out when I noticed this bird sitting in the front walkway. It was a kind of bird I have never seen. I was a young crow. I don't think I have ever seen a baby crow before. For that matter, a baby pigeon or baby sea gull are foreign to me as well.

It looked like it had fallen from its nest because it was dazed and kind of wobbly. It didn't make much of an attempt to get away from me. Its parents however had no problem squawking away as I approached it. They seemed to be quite upset with me. As much as I dislike crows, I couldn't see myself putting this little thing out of its misery so I returned the cats to the house.

Susan said it was no longer in the yard when she left for work. I thought it would have made a nice pet. I would have named it "Nevermore" or "Aticus".

No comments: