Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Extended Weekend

We have just returned from three days up at Priest Lake. Let me start by saying that the Huckleberries are in season right now and they are everywhere. I have never come upon a patch of huckleberries as thick as the one we found on Monday. We finally had to stop picking because we ran out of room in our containers. We left lots of berries.

We were at Priest courtesy of my pal Arnie and his wife Hayley. They live in San Fran but come to town from time to time to relive Arnie's childhood of growing up here. They rented a great cabin near the Priest Lake Marina.

Susan and I drove up Sunday and stayed until Tuesday. The weather did not exactly cooperate the whole time we were there but we came home relaxed and refreshed...mostly. We also drank heavily. I especially drank heavily on Sunday night. I finally stumbled to bed around two-ish and woke up refreshed and ready for a rainy day around nine. Nobody would believe that I felt good. My advantage was to take aspirin prior to passing out...along with copious quantities of water. Sure, I had to get up a couple of times and pee but that wasn't until I had processed a great deal of alcohol.

The following night I had a run-in with some No-See-Ums. They are the kind of bug that eat at you ravenously but you never see them or know they were there until it is too late.

Seriously! I went to bed around midnight and felt no ill effects from the day, the night, the giant dinner we consumed or booze. I awoke around three and my legs were terribly itchy. It kept me up for most of the rest of the night. When I finally got out of bed around se7en, my arms and legs were covered with little bites that developed into little welts.

I went back to ask Susan if she felt itchy and she said that she didn't. If it was fleas or bedbugs, they left her alone. Of course, I had earlier basted myself with gin and grilled meat.

I am hoping this is not going to last too long. It is terribly uncomfortable. I'm going through a LOT of Epsom Salts.

No comments: