Sunday, November 15, 2009

So Close and yet...

Because I am an idiot and incapable of counting correctly, I am one half of one tile short in completing the entry way. It could have been much worse.

The way I had arranged the tile in my plan, I figured I needed 27 square feet...27 tiles. I bought 30 thinking I would have enough to cover the inevitable mistakes. As we were coming to the end of the project today, I started counting tiles and realized we were going to be short.
Actually, I'm being a little hard on myself. We would have been perfect except that one of the tiles broke. However, I can't figure out how I miscounted so badly. Instead of needing 27, I needed 33. Ron ended up redesigning the way we put the tile down. It saved us lots of cuts and somehow, it used less tile. That is why we have Ron.

So, we are not quite done yet. I need to buy another 5 tiles. But, even so, it looks fabulous. Here are the pictures. Get ready! You will soon be sporting a tremendous woody.
You can see the area we still need to tile. One of the things that I totally missed is the sliver of floor in the new door on the right side of the pictures. I did not take that into account when I was miscounting how much tile I needed.

It goes without saying (and yet, I'm going to say it) that Susan and I are thrilled. It really looks good. The colors are just right and it looks like it belongs there. It makes you want to come in and do something elegant...have a snifter of cognac, talk down to the servants and chat about the opera.

No comments: