Monday, November 23, 2009

Tile Conundrum

I am soooooo happy that I invited my friend Brian over tonight so he could witness the process of beer making with his own self in the proximity of the beer making equipment in order to totally screw up my entryway tile project.

Perhaps I should explain.

My friend and fraternity brother Brian has become interested in home brewing because he has tasted my home brew and thereby been sucked into the brewing brotherhood. And while he has made the effort to buy some introductory equipment into the endeavor, he has not yet brewed.

Brian has planned a festive holiday party for the early part of the festive holiday season to be held at his festive holiday home located in the festive Glenrose region of the Spok-Anal Area. I offered to make a keg of beer for his festive gathering. He wanted to break his Brewing Cherry on my dime so I invited him over to observe the festive brewing process.

While here, he commented on my entry way tile project and how festively fabulous it was. Then came the issue of the transition into the TV room. I was planning on placing tile there. Tile Master Ron was planning on placing tile there. Susan said that she thought there should be wood in that spot rather than tile. I said, "Oh Susan. Poor poor little Susan. How can you be so misguided?!"

But tonight, Brian said, "You don't want tile there. If you are in the TV Room, with the door closed, you would see tile. You want to see wood until it transitions under the door."

I should say at this point that Brian is an ASSHOLE! Oh sure, he may be a correct asshole...but an asshole nonetheless.

Why is Brian an asshole? Because now, thanks to his un-invited critique, Susan is doing the victory dance around the tile and I have no choice but to admit defeat. WHY?! Because I was wrong!

If you will note in the picture above, the red dotted line indicates where the door will be when it is closed. It is clear to me now that the area from the wood to the tile should be filled with wood...not tile. It took an outsider to point this out to me.

Now here is the important point to get from this. "Always listen to your wife!"

Here is an alternate, less emasculating way to look at it. People need to come through your house and look at your projects and give their opinions. Nine hundred and ninety-nine times out of fifty their opinions will suck. But occasionally, a Brian (Asshole) will come through and hurt your short term pride in order to save you from a lifetime of humiliation.

I can clearly see now that Brian (and Susan) was correct. Fortunately, I have not written this down anywhere will people will find out about it.

No comments: