Monday, September 05, 2011

Labrador Weekend

The unofficial end of Summer has arrived and moved on but nobody told the sun. The forecast for the next week calls for hot, Hot HOT! I am not complaining. I have no problems with summer hanging around for another month if it so desires. So my musings over not using my air conditioner in the last post are all but null and void.

In the meantime, let's get to my Weekend Roundup, a complete breakdown of the events for Susan and I over the Labor Day THREE-DAY weekend.

We rode our bikes downtown on Friday night to attend "Pigout in the Park. It's Spokane's annual food festival with lots of food and bands and music and food. We ate our fill and made it back home shortly after 9ish.















This was the view from my Coffee Booth at the Farmer's Market on Saturday morning. I've been working this event for my friend Brian since the start of the summer. I'm there from 8:00 to 1:00. Saturday was not a great day for coffee sales. Even the Iced Coffee was slow.

Fortunately, one o'clock comes eventually and then I'm free for the day. I went home immediately because the DirecTV guy was there installing out Hi-Def system for the new TV. He hit a few snags during the install but was finally able to get everything running to our liking. I still haven't got the VCR integrated into the new system but people are telling me that is old technology. Nonetheless, I plan to hang on to it because it is the last piece of television hardware that I am familiar with.

I returned Brian's van and then I hit the Home Depot to cobble together some things I needed for some planned Sunday projects.

I'm trying to remember what we did on Saturday night but it is not coming to me. I guess we went into a Hi-Def watching overload that completely blanked out my mental receptors.

On Sunday we went to church and then returned home to begin our respective projects. Susan had to be at work for the catering company at 2:00 so her time was limited.

Her current project is to complete the stenciling in the entryway.















She completed two of four sides. I think it looks fabulous and it really draws your eyes up to the stenciling on the ceiling.

My project for the day was, get through it. I actually had three projects. The easiest one was to anchor the outlet in the entryway and get a nice faceplate on it. Well, I had found a lovely faceplate at the Depot and so I was able to accomplish the easy one in a short span of a profanity laced time period.

Then it was on to the back hall. It is very dark back there and would be ameliorated by an absence of darkness created by a light.














I wanted to place a light similar to this one shown above. We bought that one at the Depot a few years back so I was confident I would be able to get another.

HA!

I finally found one that I thought would work at Lowe's so I was ready to begin the project.














This is the wall in question where the light will go to eliminate the dark.

As one can clearly see, there is already a hole there where a former switch had been. Conveniently, one will also note that the hole has a fish tape line in it ready to pull new wire.

I was very concerned about running the wire and if I would be able to do it by myself. It turns out that running the wire was the easiest part of this install.










After cutting an access hole in the ceiling of the basement room below the hallway, I easily found the old knob and tube wire and fed the new wire in to place.

Then it was just a matter of cutting a hole of the fixture and dropping the wire through the short length to the switch.










All in all, I was happy with the result.

Unfortunately, Susan was not. She doesn't like the light fixture. It looks very similar to the one I was trying to match but that is not the opinion held by the only person who really matters.

A quick note about Norman the fish. I am sure I have referenced him in these pages before. Norman is our goldfish. Susan gave him to me a looooong time ago. He was just a little minnow back then. He has grown over the years and we have had to keep putting him in larger and larger tanks.

Norman has always been a bit neurotic. He is now approaching the end of his life and he is pretty beat up.

We should have flushed him two weeks ago but we just can't bring ourselves to pull the trigger. He is blind as he has had some serious eye issues, He kind of has a curved spine. And he has been beating himself on the rocks at the bottom of the tank which has left him with many open sores. He is not a pretty fish.













He started spending much of his time upside down. That's when the flushing conversations began.

He's still hanging there as of Labor Day and is spending much less time on his back.

Monday was a lazy day around the house. I had to go back to the Depot to focus my needs a bit since my original plan on my next project was not working out.

My next project was to fix the power outlets on the front porch. To make it short, it finally all came together and the power is functioning and available for the front yard.

The Labor Day weekend traditionally ends with the Spokane Symphony Concert at Comstock Park. We gather with family and friends for a picnic and then some great music.

The concert was cancelled last year due to a lack of funding. So we were all very pleased to hear that a local Savings and Loan, Sterling Savings ponied up the money for the next three years.
















Here are a couple of shots from the concert. It is a melancholy time for me as it signals the end of summer. Also, I ate some melons and I saw a collie.

Now it is onward towards Autumn.

No comments: