Monday, September 12, 2011

Wine Champions

I did a bunch of yard work on Saturday and I'm pretty satisfied with what I got done. Not  so much what I got done, but the amount that I got done. There was raking, killing mushrooms, weeding, mowing, cleaning, watering...a whole host of outyard activities.

Susan got herself some new glasses, which took her a good portion of the day. Glasses are expensive.  It's as if they consider vision important.

Saturday evening, we went to a birthday party at the home of my former neighbors, Jim and Michelle. Michelle turned 50. It was nice to be back in the old neighborhood and to see my old house. Todd, who bought it, is doing some great stuff with it.

Sunday was the Fourth Annual SpokeFest. I tried looking through the paper this morning to get a report on the number of people that participated. They were expecting 2,000. It looked about 2,000ish. I'm surprised there wasn't a brief article reporting on it.

It was overshadowed by the tenth anniversary of the terrorist attachs on the World Trade Center. You might have heard of it.

There were lots of stories about 9-11 commemorations that took place, both locally and nationally. That took the brunt of the news coverage. There was even a tribute at the start of SpokeFest. A short speech by someone, followed by the longest, drawn out version of the National Anthem in four part harmony I have ever heard.

Anyway, we have now participated in all four years of the SpokeFest. Unfortunately, we are not bike people. We did the 9 mile course and even that took it's toll on us. My nether regions went numb by mile 8 and that is not a good feeling.

After a good bike ride, the thing to do is go to the Spokane Interstate Fair. Nothing better than walking around aimlessly for several hours on legs that are already not happy with you.

It took forever but we finally got over to the wine exhibit to see how we did in the judging. We did well!

The Blueberry Wine we made got Reserve Grand Champion. I think that's a runner up. I'm amazed as I do not feel the blueberry is all that good of a wine. It might be good for blueberry, but perhaps, this is why good wine comes from the grape vine and not the blueberry bush.


We also got a blue ribbon for the Pinot Gris as well as awards for the labels for both wines. Our friend Ellen got a Grand Champion award for her wine label, which was designed by Susan.













So...all in all, we are happy with the Better than Fare Fair results.

No comments: