Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Satellite Technology

Two years ago on the Fourth of July, we became viewers of Satellite Television. It has been a satisfactory relationship with nary a problem.

Then, at the end of August, we got the new big screen HiDef Telly and things have gone awry.

We lost satellite signal last Friday night. Up until then it had been working fine since it's installation. I was working on installing a new light switch in the hallway and threw a few circuit breakers to isolate the right circuit. In the course of tripping the breaker, I seemed to have blown out the satellite.

A guy came on Saturday (pretty damn quick response) and got us up and running again but when I came home tonight, it was not getting a signal again.

So I call in and let them know that it is not working and they tell me a Technician can come on Thursday between non and four. Then I hear myself say, "Do you mean to tell me that I will be without TV for two days?!" As if not having a television in the house is a matter of life or death.

Oh my God! Do you mean that my wife and I may have to actually talk to each other?
After bitching and moaning for a while, it occurred to me to mess with the Digital converter Box that Susan's boss gave to us. I had tried to set it earlier on one of our old TV's without any luck. I decided to try again and the difference this time would be that I would read the instructions.

Wow! That works...reading the instructions. We have over-the-air digital TV. I am still having a problem which I hope to rectify by calling their help line tomorrow. I cannot get channel four, which I know is there and available. I have to find out why the antenna is not finding it when it scans channels.

Channel Four is the local ABC affiliate and if I don't get it, we will be missing the premier of the best comedy on TV right now, Modern Family. That will be disastrous as Susan and I will have to talk...to each other!


No comments: