Sunday, February 12, 2012

Trim Work Winging

I spent a good portion of the weekend working on my dining room doorway while Susan continues the seemingly endless task of plastering and sanding, plastering and sanding, plastering and...one gets the point.

I shall begin with the work space.
 This is the Dining Room Entry I am working on. Here you see a view from the kitchen and a view from the hall.
I have stripped all the paint off the wood. Now I have to fix the mortise that used to hold a hinge. There was once a door here but it is long gone, at least it was gone before we took ownership.

So I took a field trip to Windsor Plywood for some advice and they suggested I just use a piece of 2x4 and create a little wafer of wood for the patch.

Well, that seemed like a good idea and so that is what I did.
Here is an old 2x4 I recovered from the garage.

It took several tries but I then began trying to cut a thin wafer of wood from this board with my chop saw.
After a few shots at it, I cut a piece I was happy with.
I trimmed it to size and then, as is often my habit, I marked it with a little information for future treasure hunters.

I then slathered it with wood glue and fit it into place.

I of course copied the above methods for the hinge mortise on the bottom of the door jam.

I let it dry over night and returned on Sunday to sand the Fu...heck outta it.
The sanding went smoothly and quickly with the help of my new orbital palm sander. That is really a great tool.

Finally , I brought out the three pieces of trim that go around the door to see how they will fit. Because Susan had skim coated the ceiling, the the cross piece of trim buts right up against the aforementioned ceiling, the side pieces would not fit. I am going to have to trim them a bit. Probably no more than the saw blade width...perhaps a touch more. Maybe a whole lot more. Who the hell knows...certainly not me.

I winging it here!

No comments: