Sunday, March 10, 2013

Fabulous Birthday Ski Weekend for 50% of Us

I am writing from the comfort of the Hercules Inn, our little oasis of comfort and pleasure in Wallace, Idaho. As I write this, it is almost five o'clock on the first day of Daylight Savings Time Sunday.
We are on Day Two of three day weekend of skiing at Lookout Pass.

We left home Saturday about 10:30 and took a leisurely drive to Wallace. It takes about an hour and 20 minutes to get here. We stopped and checked in to the Hercules. We off loaded the stuff we didn't need and then took off for the mountain, arriving to find a great parking spot. We ate some sandwiches that Susan made from the comfort of our great parking spot and got on the lift just before one. We managed nine runs before they kicked us off the lifts. 

It was a great day for me and Susan enjoyed most of it until she caught an edge and fell and kind of screwed up her knee.

Then it was the 15 minute drive back to our apartment and HOT TUBBIN'!

We got ourselves together and went out to the 1313 Club where we enjoyed dinner while watching the Gonzaga Bulldogs (Ranked Number One in the Nation of the these United States of America where Gonzaga is Number One) defeat the Fancy Boys of LMU by a comfortable amount.

We returned to our little hideaway and vegged.

We slept in until about 8:30ish and meandered our way to the Red Light Garage for breakfast. The couple that owns the Hercules Inn also owns and operates the Red Light Garage. 


We had a great breakfast and had fun looking at all the nicknacks around the restaurant. The Pianola shown above is one of the nacks. The space ship out front is a nick.

The sun was shining and the sky was clear blue when we arrived. We headed for the top and skied the front of the mountain for a few runs. Unfortunately, Susan caught another edge and screwed up her other knee. She skied a total of five runs before taking a break...which ended up being the end of her day. She's kind of limping right now. 

She graciously insisted that I keep skiing and so I did. I skied another four runs before taking a bar break. After a quick beer, I returned to the slopes while Susan went to the car for a nap. I skied six runs in just over an hour. I was really going for it. 


It's the first time I have skiied by myself in a long time. I really enjoyed it and took advantage of the ability to try whatever run I want to whenever the moment (or Run) struck me.I was trying to make as many turns per run as I could. That really got my thighs burning. Then I found a great spot where I could just let loose and go. 

The advent of GPS technology has allowed me the fun of tracking how fast I go. I started doing this several years ago. It's fun when you're with a bunch of guys to see who can go the fastest.

My first attempt today got me up to 35 mph. When I got to the spot at the bottom of a run called Cloud 9 where I could let go and fly, I got up to 55. On Lucky Run Number 13, I hit 60.2 mph. 

At 56, I'm not sure how smart it is to be going faster on skis than my age.  But I've never been accused of being a member of Mensa!

I ended up skiing 18 runs which is a very number for me. I consider it a good day of skiing. Other than Susan's knee issue, it was a GREAT weekend of skiing. It was pretty inexpensive too. Our passes for skiing were free and we brought a lot of our own food.

The above picture shows a little party going on down in the parking lot. It also shows my great parking spot on Day Two. I'm five cars down from the end. We just walked right on to the lift.

6:57PM: We have just returned from dinner. We found a new place to go, which is always very exciting. The place is called the City Limits Pub and Grill. It's a very rustic place located in an old produce warehouse just outside of the downtown area of Wallace.

They are a Micro Brew Pub and they have a pretty good menu. We liked it a lot.

"Sixty Minutes" is on now and that begins our Sunday Night 
Veg n'View routine. 

Good day!

No comments: