Saturday, March 23, 2013

Super Pops Saturday

There is nothing productive going on around the house concerning the remodeling of the house. We are in the thick of March Madness and that seems to be a convenient excuse to use as to why we are doing other little things. 

Also, we had a major malfunction on our main TV which means we have no flat screen upon which to watch the games.

We have arranged for TV George to come over tomorrow (we hope) to see if the TV is worth saving. It's a good TV with a great picture but it has a few miles on it. Therefore, it may be cheaper to buy something new. We shall see.

In the meantime, we are going out tonight to see the Spokane Symphony. Our friends, Randy and Karen have provided the tickets and so we are providing the dinner. Hopefully, the place we are going will have televisions showing the Gonzaga game, who barely escaped with their lives from their first round game against Number 15 seeded Southern University.

11:38PM: We have just returned from our evening out. Gonzaga has no more lives. They lost! They are done! Finished!

What surprises me is how upset I am over this. I'm not a huge fan of the sports games. I like sports and I like to support the local teams but I do not seek out sports. The Sports page is not my first or even second stop with the morning paper.

Nonetheless, I am bummed out! I think it has to do with the inherent inferiority complex Spokane has. We don't expect national attention and when we get it, we don't know what to do with it. 

On a brighter note, we went to an amazing concert tonight. It was the Super Pops version of the Spokane Symphony. It's a smaller orchestra and more oriented to popular music. The music wa excellent and performing with them was a troupe called Cirque Musica. They were very similar to Cirque de Soile. Hand stands, walking on ropes, hanging from sheets, trick ropes and whips and balancing on a bongo board atop three rolling canisters atop an eight foot platform. Really amazing stuff and we thoroughly enjoyed it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Neitzche says that when someone causes us to change our opinion of them, we hold the inconvenience this causes us very much against them. Could it be this also pertains to sports teams? If so, the Bulldogs become simply dogs or even dirty dogs, or so much bull. I had no stake in them, but I too was disappointed by their early exit. Perhaps I should turn my wrath towards those who seeded them so highly that our expectations were also set unreasonably high for such a pack of bullshit dogs. Canines. Curs.