Friday, December 07, 2007

Wishbone Protocol

Susan and I bought and cooked a turkey the Sunday after Thanksgiving. We went to my sister's for Turkey and had no turkey to enjoy for ourselves. We wanted to be able to enjoy our own turkey dinner, gravy, turkey sandwiches, turkey soup, and finally, our own wishbone.

After a suitable drying out period, we did the wishbone tradition. The question is, who wins with a wishbone as pictured above? Both sides broke in the same place. The only difference is that one side broke into two pieces.

We are in a quandry over this and don't know who gets his or her wish.

I havn't gone so far as to search the internet for official Wishbone Wishing Rules. I wonder if there is such a place.

Good News! There is such a place. I just googled "wishbone" and came across a site called Luckymojo.com. Here is an excerpt from it.

Once the merrythought (wishbone) is dry, it is given to two people (usually children), who pull it apart until it cracks and breaks, each one making a wish while doing so. The person who gets the "long half" of the wishbone will have his or her wish "come true." If the wishbone breaks evenly, both parties get their wishes. In some families it is said that the wish will only come true if it is not revelaed to anyone. (The belief that a wish must be kept secret to ensure its fulfillment also occurs in "first star" and birthday candle wishing rituals).

So, I am declaring that both Susan and I get our wish. I'm glad I was able to clear that up.

No comments: