Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Blue Berry Wine Update

We ran a test on the wine tonight and it was well past the gravity reading where we could transfer it to the secondary fermenter. So we did. I seem to have a problem with the seal on my primary fermenter, also known as "the bucket". The yeast has been churning away the whole time but there must be a leak in the buck or the lid that allows the gas to escape. The vapor lock that goes in the lid never bubbled at all.

I think we are okay and now the wine is in a secure carboy with no leaks and the vapor lock is percolating nicely, thank you very much. We shall keep a close eye on it and see how it goes. I'm certain the monks at the Chateau Pape du Nerf had the same issues at some time or another.
I was watching the must during the transfer. The yeast was really churning. You could see it causing little eddies in the wine. I got so involved watching it that I didn't notice it overflow onto the floor.

No comments: