Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Carpet the Stairs

The staircase project is progressing along quite nicely, thank you. We are ready to order carpet. Susan has ordered some samples from an on-line carpetorium and they arrived today. The first thing we needed to do was figure out how much carpet we need. We used an ingenious method that Susan came across somewhere. We took a string and taped it to the stairs. This allowed us to divine that we need 20 feet for the first main staircase and 10 feet for the second staircase. Using my advanced math syfering skills, I deduced that we need about 147 feet of carpet.

Next we needed to check out the samples and see what we liked. Of the four samples Susan ordered, we narrowed it down to these two.
After further consideration, we went with the one shown below. It is of course, the more expensive one. With the brass keepers and all the carpet accessories, I am anticipating we are spending about $800.00 on this portion of what is becoming an ever increasingly deep money pit.
The one thing I have learned throughout all these projects is that it pays to spend the money. In a year, I will not remember how much we spent (until I refer back to this entry) and the quality of the material will continue to give and give and give and then I die.
You can see a short sample of the carpet keeper to the rght of the carpet. We are obtaining those through the same place we are geting the carpet runner and therefore hoping for a little extra discount. I have a local outlet for the brass carpet keepers and I would prefer to use him. However, the difference is about $135.00. Do you know how much beer $135.00 will but? I do!



No comments: