Thursday, June 30, 2011

More Toil

I continue to toil in the dirt.

Below is the front of the house depicting my work area for the day. I've been trying to clean up the flower beds in the front yard. We haven't done anything to these so the ground is hard and loaded with roots. I'm developing quite a pile for a stump fire .














My main goal for the evening was to define the border of the flower garden and dig up a poorly placed shrubbery. I also am going to dig up the Arbor Vitae shown behind the shovel in the picture below and move it to where you see the edger over by the fence line. But not today.

The shrubbery turned to be easier than I thought as well as more difficult than I thought.














I have said this before and I will say it now and then again at another time, there is not a square foot of ground in that front yard that I can put a shovel to and not hit a root. And usually it's a BIG root. Getting into the dirt to get beneath the shrub was an effort in itself.


Once I got to the shrub, it practically walked out of the hole. Then
I had some roots to dispose of and a hole to fill .
In the end, I was pleased with what I got done. It looks a little bit better but I still have a long way to go.

Susan is still removing wall paper, just little bits each night, and is making good progress.

I did a little wood putty work on the entry way trim last night. I'm using an awful lot of putty. But I think it will look good in the end.

No comments: