Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Baby Step 2013-09-18

Susan was able to remove the guilty wall paper from the wall by steaming it off. It came off in one piece and she will probably be able to use it again.

I got a little staining done on the mantle and included a bit of window trim as well. I'll get a second coat of stain on tomorrow. My goal is to have the mantle back in place this weekend.

We are in that weird no man's land right now where no heat or air conditioning are required. So right now, for at least the last couple of days, we've had an incredibly small carbon footprint. We have made up for it with our incredibly large alcohol footprint.

The small carbon footprint will end soon but I'm enjoying it while I can. The alcohol footprint will continue to grow and grow and...well, you know.

I mentioned a couple of posts ago that I had hooked up the radiators to our system in preparation for re-energizing the system when the weather required it.

The radiator in the TV room had been off line for a good couple of years. The one in the living room is going to be out of the system through this winter due to my hopeless procrastinating to get it sand blasted and painted. 

The problem is that the thing is really heavy. I just haven't been able to gather the equipment and people together to get it out of the house. So I have rigged a plug in the pipes going to that radiator.

I was less successful re-attaching the radiator in the TV room. The connection on one side is a simple screw on connection. The other side requires soldering. It was my first attempt at sweating a pipe and I was unsuccessful.

It started spewing water as I filled the system. So the filling is on hold while I try to do a better job of soldering. That will be a weekend job. Probably using someone other than me.

No comments: