Saturday, September 28, 2013

EyeHandy Projects

We came into possession of more furniture today. It's a queen headboard with a matching dresser and night table. It's nothing special but everything is in good condition and it was a decent price...$250.00.

So I borrowed Mark's truck and get the stuff moved. On top of that, I had trim to stain and wanted to try again at soldering the pipe to the radiator in the TV Room.

But first, it's rainy and chilly. I estimate from the Stanculator Weather Station 5000 that we received almost three eighths of an inch of rain today. I decided I needed to try and warm up the house with a fire.
This was our second fire since the install back in the early days of September and I ran it all day. It is working just exactly the way I hoped it would. It really heats up the living room and then wafts warm air upstairs through the staircase to warm the landing. 

My pipe sweating skills have greatly improved. I watched a couple videos on line after doing a search on "soldering copper pipes". I found a great video from this Production Company called "Eye Handy". They have a bunch of videos featuring scantily clad buxom babes showing how to do things like change a tire, repair a hole in drywall and solder a copper pipe. Soldering pipe with Tara is highly recommended.

Thanks to Tara, I figured it out this time and was successful. The key this time around, aside from Tara and her excellent instruction, was starting with a clean fitting. I got the emery cloth to properly sand the areas to join and I purchased the right flux. This flux is a waxy sort of goo that promotes adhesion of solder to the copper. The stuff I used before was what Susan uses when she does stained glass. It's very watery and it is hard to tell if it is even still there.

The other trick was to heat up the pipe and then touch the solder to the seam. It draws itself into the joint and makes a nice clean professional looking seal. And this time it held!

Unfortunately, my impromptu jerry-rigged compression joint repair on the pipe in the Living Room is not working. It's leaking water through the cap. I may try to seal the cap completely with JB Weld or some other kind of epoxy sealant.

I got the Living Room Radiator to the sandblaster yesterday and with any luck, I could have it back by next weekend. Then I just have to figure out how to re-attach it.

Susan is not happy with her wall papering and removed a bunch of 
what she had applied. Then she got to work on the second panel of the stencil.
This is going to look bitchin'!



No comments: