Saturday, December 28, 2013

Christmas in Des Moines, Day 9ine

So here we are on the day of our departure. As I write we are already an hour and a half behind schedule. My phone is at my side and I am ready to answer it at the slightest chirp. Susan and I have determined that if we can get on the road by 1:00PM, we will go. Otherwise, we will stay until tomorrow and start bright and early. 

10:16AM: And so...we wait!

But not for long. I got a call from the guy at 10:25 and he said they were unable to get the old alternator out. There wasn't enough clearance and they were running out of time. He suggested we take it to a Firestone Auto Center where they are open longer. 

So we drove over and got the car. They did not charge us for the two hours of labor to not get the part out. I thought they deserved something but they wouldn't take it.

The car is presently at the Firestone store and it has been there for about two and a half hours. Their manual said it was a three hour job. We did not tell them about the trouble that the other guys had for fear of scaring them away from the job and sending us to the dealer on Monday.

And so...we wait!

In the meantime, we went to lunch at Tacopocolypse, a local tacorarium. 

We followed that with a visit to the Iowa State Historical Center were we viewed many historical things about Iowa. For example, today is the 146th anniversary of Iowa Statehood. Today! What are the odds?! 

They also had a nice exhibit on the Civil War and the part Iowans played in it.

It goes without saying that we are spending another night here at Casa de Stoffregen. Since it goes without saying, I shall simply write it...as  I already have.

And so...we wait!

3:51PM: The wait is over! I just got the call from the Firestone store. Susan and Margaret are still out but I have notified them and now, well...I guess I am still waiting.

6:10PM: Okay, now are done waiting. I have the car, it cost what they promised ($571.83) and it is running fine.

We are planning to get up at six tomorrow and hit the road hard.

But tonight, we party...until about 9:00.

No comments: