Saturday, December 26, 2015

Christmas Update

We have survived Christmas Day and now are enjoying Boxing Day. Since I am un-Canadian, I am not participating. I'm not even sure what I would or should do.

I am presently warming a piece of left over prime rib, which we had for dinner last night. It's my second prime rib that I have cooked and my first good one...meaning the first one that came out tasty and delicious.

Yum! That was delicious AGAIN!

With the help of my neighbor Lou, I was able to get the snow blower into the car and up to the repair shop. I have my guy, Richard, who operates a small engine repair shop up in the Garland District. He said he would have to order the axle and that would be the most time consuming part of the repair. 

I'm probably going to be without it for a couple of weeks. Hopefully, the snow will be sparce in that time.

We had a great Christmas Eve and Day. Susan and I took Mom to the Christmas Eve service at Plymouth and then to dinner with the Jensen clan. 

We managed to get home by 9 and did our traditional Christmas Eve reading of "Christmas Day in the Morning" by Pearl S. Buck.

We had a lazy Christmas morning, opening gifts, having breakfast, opening a few more gifts and laying about.

We went over to Mom's about 1:00 and started the Prime Rib.

At some point during the afternoon, we made video contact with Susan's sister and family in Iowa. We had a nice 20 minutes video chat.
We finally sat down to dinner around 5. It was Mom, Susan and I, as well as Evy and Jeff.

In the middle of dinner we were visited  by the Ghosts of Christmas Future when all the DuPree kids came ambling in for a visit. It was a great surprise and they stayed for about an hour.

During clean up, I carried a Christmas plate out to the car and slipped on the ice. There is a little water drop falling onto the walk from a corner of the roof eve, and conditions were just right for it to hit, splatter and freeze in a really wide area.

I hit it and my feet went right out from under me. I don't know how, but the plate did not break and I was essentially uninjured. I scraped a knuckle and banged my right forearm, but I am okay considering the state of the rest of my health. So I have logged my first official ice crash of the season. Hopefully, that will be the last!

So now the Holiday is behind us and we can relax a little. Susan went in to work for a few hours and then will be joining me shortly at the Hub for the Sun Bowl Football Contest featuring the Washington State Cougars.

They are playing the University of Miami Hurri-Bastards and are favored by 2 1/2 points.

I guess I'll update this post a bit later.

6:01 PM: The Cougars won 20 to 14. Susan her boss, Bill joined us after the first quarter and stayed until the end of the third quarter. The she went back to work.

The funny thing was that they where playing in El Paso, Texas in the Sun. Bowl. Prior to the start of the game, they had to clear the field of all the snow. During the game, it rained, or sleeted or snowed the whole time.

No comments: