Saturday, September 10, 2016

Puttering Around the House

Susan has to work this afternoon so it's a casual kind of work day around the homestead.

I finished a project with the caps for the wainscoting. We ended up buying base trim and then I cut a notch in the bottom back of the trim in order for it to sit on the top panels.

Next I will cut them to length and then we will paint them prior to nailing them into place.

Then I got to work on cleaning up the trim for the door and window. The window trim is not in as bad of shape as the door trim. I had not planned on striping them down to bare wood but it turned out to be essential. They where coated with sooooooooooo many layers of poorly applied paint that in some places, the paint just peeled away.

I'm pretty much through the two side pieces and I'll get some work done on the top piece tomorrow.

Once I get the cap in place, we will be ready to install the bathtub. That will be a grand day indeed.

By the way, did I mention that we purchased lights for the bathroom? Last Saturday, we went downtown to Revival Lighting. We looked at a number of reproduction vintage style lights and picked a nice sconce style for the mirror times two, and a matching three bulb overhead light. The total was just over $700.00. 

Nope! That's not a misprint. It seems outrageous to pay that much for three relatively simple lights. However, there is nothing else out there of any kind of quality that matches the style we are going for.

I have never regretted paying for a quality product. You only pay once. You forget about it tomorrow.

No comments: