Friday, May 26, 2017

So Long, Old Acquaintance

We walked down the block last night to say good bye to an old friend. Perhaps not a friend, but an acquaintance. Yes, definitely an acquaintance.

It was the old tree on the corner of Waverly Place and Washington.
This is one of my favorite houses on the park. I really like its design. What is left of the tree you can see in the street. It was a big old majestic maple tree.

I have a particular affinity for it because it had this big old hole in the side of the trunk. Years ago on a walk, I stopped to by the tree to inspect the hole. Sitting just above the hole was an owl. He was well out of my reach so he didn't freak out...in fact, he just sat there and looked at me...wisely, and perhaps a bit of malcontent.

One does not see many owls in Spokane. Especially during daylight hours. So that tree has always held a special place in my memory.

It's sad to see this tree go but it had to happen. A giant branch broke free a month ago and fell into the yard. 
You can see from this close up that the tree was quite diseased.
That hollowed out middle is from fungi eating away at it. It extended quite a ways through the tree.

So, see ya later Mr Maple. I shall remember you fondly, especially now that I have immortalized you here.

No comments: