Sunday, March 01, 2020

Lumber Jack and Jill

Yesterday I rented a log splitter to take care of the numerous stumps and branches left over from last year's downing of the tree. (Refer to August 30th, 2019)

I had it for four hours and was not able to complete all the splitting in time. Oh sure, I could have optimized my time by having some gas on hand to fill the tank when the splitter ran dry. I could have organized myself a little better and not spent a chunk of the rental time stacking the wood.

But to be fair, there was a lot of wood out there. I was never going to get it all in four hours.
Today, Susan and I went out in a husband/wife team and did some stacking. I'm happy to say that we got a good pile close to the house that is ready for burning...once it's had the summer to dry out.
I'm working on another stack that will have to be covered with an tarp. ( I know that is an improper use of grammar and yet, I'm leavin' it) I laid down a couple of 4x4 posts I've had rotting in the wood pile to use as a base for this new stack. 
Stacking wood is a lot like putting together a puzzle. You have to find the right pieces to go on the ends and then fill in with assorted chunks as you go. The more stable I make the ends, the higher I can go with the stack.

Susan is not particularly happy with the stack we did. She thinks it is too high and a bit unstable. I will give her that but I don't think it is going to go over. I told her she can give me a good "I told you so!" when it does.

No comments: